Tucson, AZ 85711
JOB Description: Reporting to the Operations Controller with a dotted line to the general manager, this individual will oversee financial reporting, cost accounting, expense management, inventory, scrap analysis, budgeting and forecasting, royalty calculations, hands-on SAP general ledger supervision, month-end close and internal control activities related to the operation of the Plant. This will include the application of generally accepted accounting principles, procedures issued by Corporate, the development of annual operating budgets, analysis of Plant financial performance, and development of recommendations to improve financial performance and operations. Will supervise two experienced senior accounting analysts. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Close monthly accounting records, including preparing and/or approving all journal entries.
- Responsible for capital expenditures including requesting capital appropriations thru closing and capitalizing assets as well as enforcing the policy.
- Develop and prepare financial and operational performance measurement, key indicator reports and cost variance analysis for incorporation into monthly operations package.
- Provides significant support to business unit managers in preparation of the Annual Operating Plan, ensuring integrity in the planning process.
- Work closely with Corporate to assist with parent company initiatives and special projects, ad-hoc analysis etc.
- Work closely with Corporate Metals Department at month-end to accurately report production and production costs as part of the essential cost of sales calculations
- Ensures accounting of plant operations adheres to GAAP.
- Supervise train and mentor plant accounting staff.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to work independently and develop a professional relationship with operating personnel.
- Ability to read, analyzes, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
- Ability to cost reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present mining production and cost information for the general manager, operations management and finance
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Strong managerial, problem-solving, analytical, project management and communication skills
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Excel and Word.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- SAP experience a big plus
- Bachelor's degree from four-year college in accounting, finance or related field
- CMA or CPA preferred
- Minimum of 7 to 10 years of hands on experience in plant, cost or manufacturing accounting, financial reporting, payroll, inventory management and internal controls
- Mining industry or heavy manufacturing experience desired