Chicago, IL 60601
The Engineer 1 provides hands-on advanced technical knowledge for repairs and maintain all hotel systems, equipment and physical features.
- Efficiently and safely operate central HVAC equipment and mechanical equipment using sound engineering practices and specified corporate operating procedures.
- Accurately and efficiently repair and maintain food production and related kitchen equipment, laundry equipment, ice machines and refrigeration systems, boilers and plumbing systems and all electrical and natural gas distribution systems.
- Trouble-shoot electrical and pneumatic problems and repair them as quickly and economically as possible.
- Perform preventive and predictive maintenance on an on-going basis.
- Be familiar with and maintain all fire safety equipment operations and implement emergency procedures when required.
- Respond to any HVAC calls or room calls as a priority.
- Produce accurate logs, charts and preventive maintenance forms.
- Provide training to other team members, specifically Engineer II and Engineer III.
- Follow direction given in Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) and perform work in a safe and efficient manner.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Stand, sit and walk for varying lengths of time
- Lift approximately fifty (50) pounds
- Safely climb stairs and ladders
- Work in a hot or cold environment
- Efficiently and safely operate machinery and equipment such as key cutter, drill press, radial arm saw, drills, grinders, etc.
- Grasping, writing, standing, sitting, walking, repetitive motions, pulling, pushing, listening and hearing ability and visual ability
- Must have finger dexterity to be able to operate office equipment such as computers, printers, multi-line tone tone phone, filing cabinets, photocopiers and other office equipment as needed
Must be able to work Nights, weekends and holidays
Must be able to pass a criminal background check
Must be able to pass a drug test
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Previous hotel engineering experience required, including HVAC, electrical, plumbing, commercial kitchen and general building construction
- Vocational training, associate’s degree, certification and/or apprenticeship in one or more area; state certification or licensure where required
- Understand and efficiently maintain and operate advanced electrical, plumbing, refrigeration and boiler systems.
- Read and understand blueprints, schematic drawings and technical parts breakdown.
- Good communication skills, both verbal and written
- High work ethic and self-initiative
- Strong computer skills in Microsoft Suite
- Regular attendance according to established guidelines
- May be required to work varying schedules to reflect the business needs of the property
- Must possess basic computational ability
- Focus and maintain attention to multiple tasks and priorities, and complete work assignments on time despite frequent interruptions, including in high pressure situations
- Ability to maintain excellent relationships with staff and maintain staff and guest confidentiality at all times
- Ability to converse calmly with upset associates, superiors and guests in intense emotional situations
- Ability to troubleshoot and problem solve issues, and be experienced in decision making
- Ability to participate in, and lead departmental and/or hotel team meetings
- Understanding and adherence to Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) documents, as well as hotel safety procedures