Executive (Head) Chef
Southfield, MI 48075
- Manage, develop and mentor team of full-time and part-time culinary associates, including hiring, firing, and disciplining associates.
- Promote a positive, enthusiastic, and cooperative workplace environment.
- Ensure that budgeted food percentages are achieved through effective control measures including portion controls, kitchen timing, inventory rotation measures, receiving and storage procedures, and waste control.
- Control labor costs through effective scheduling of kitchen associates, cross-training and development of associates, and monitoring breaks.
- Develop menus to ensure quality, consistency, and style of concept are maintained.
- Monitor production of culinary preparation, recipe specifications, and ensure quality standards are met for every dish served.
- Cooperate closely with catering sales teams and banquet operations team in providing ongoing assistance and communications to ensure food products are correctly prepared and served.
- Audit food storeroom items and direct kitchen associates to maintain consistent quality products that ensure adherence to all health code requirements. Enforce safety procedures and cleanliness standards throughout kitchen(s), including walk-in and reach-in boxes.
- Performs any other job related duties as assigned.
- Certification as "Executive Chef" or culinary degree from recognized culinary institute preferred.
- Four to six years supervisory experience in a hotel culinary position.
- Technical proficiency and ability to demonstrate extensive knowledge of food preparation methods.
- Ability to develop results-oriented associates through effective training, evaluation, motivation, coaching and counseling; assist others in developing needed skills for effective job performance.
- Track record of delegating responsibility to others to meet objectives and achieve desired results.
- Demonstrated experience as a decision-maker with an ability to identify problems and creatively and expeditiously find solutions.
- Ability to compute discount, interest, profit, and loss; commission, markups, and selling price; ratios, proportions, and percentages; surface, volumes, weights, and measures.
- Must be flexible with respect to working days, early mornings, evenings, weekends, and holidays.