Facilities and Maintenance Director
Potomac, MD 20854
The Facilities and Maintenance Director performs a variety of tasks involving the general care of the
building and grounds including cleaning, repairing and maintenance, as well as supervises other
custodial and facility staff. Their primary responsibility is to ensure that our client's members and staff
have a safe, attractive, comfortable, clean and efficient place in which to learn, pray, work and meet.
This full-time, at-will and salaried position with benefits reports to the Executive Director.
Some of the essential functions of the position include, but are not limited to:
● Coordinate work schedules and tasks for self, full-time and part-time staff
● Supervise custodial and maintenance team, monitor and track issues and provide feedback
● Arrange for periodic deep cleaning of sanctuary, classrooms, kitchen and other spaces
● Act as liaison and first point of contact with the burglar alarm company and fire alarm company which
will require reporting, at potentially any hour, to these calls
Custodial Duties (along with Custodial Staff):
● Participate in routine and special cleaning of all areas within the synagogue, including offices,
sanctuary, classrooms, kitchen, restrooms and their fixtures
● Set up rooms for events and programs with tables and chairs, linens, portable sound system, etc
● Operate custodial equipment and maintenance tools and cleaning products
● Perform floor maintenance tasks including dust-mopping, wet-mopping, sweeping and vacuuming and
strip and waxing the floors
Maintenance and Repairs:
● Routinely inspect facility and grounds to examine for damage or wear. Determine priority of repair
tasks, action plan and timeline, materials needed, etc.● Supervise ground maintenance contract including snow removal.
● Perform basic carpentry, plumbing and electrical and use handyman type skills for smaller projects.
Able to use hand tools (hammers, screwdrivers, wrenches, painting equipment, etc.) and small power
● Maintain and coordinate maintenance contractors and vendors that service building systems including
HVAC, electrical, plumbing, mechanical and refrigeration
● Keep up-to-date building operations records, including procedures, a log of scheduled maintenance
charts and routines, blueprints and repair history
Equipment and Supplies:
● Keep an inventory of cleaning supplies and paper goods
● Work with the office manager to purchase custodial and maintenance supplies and equipment.
1. A High School diploma or GED
2. Five plus years of increasing responsibility in facility management and maintenance and custodial
3. Basic level of proficiency in Microsoft Office programs, including Excel and Outlook
4. Good written and oral communication skills. Must be able to speak English and Spanish.
5. Detail-oriented and able to multi-task
6. Flexibility to accept new responsibilities and direction as necessary
9. Ability to prioritize
10. Ability to undertake multiple deadline-driven tasks
11. Ability to work well both independently and in a team environment
12. Ability to be receptive to and accepting of guidance from others
13. Ability to deal with difficult people and problems
14. Ability to work with a diverse group of people
15. Ability to collaborate with a variety of stakeholders, including colleagues, members, volunteers, lay
leaders, donors, and visitors.
Mental, Physical and Visual Skills:
Must be able to follow written, verbal, or diagrammatic instructions with several concrete variables.
Able to add, subtract, multiply and divide whole numbers, and do calculations involving fractions,
decimals and percentages. Ability to understand and follow verbal or demonstrated instructions; write
identifying information; request supplies verbally or in writing. Bend and twist neck and waist, reach
above and below shoulders and squat. Lift and move loads up to 70 pounds. Push and pull carts
weighing up to 100 pounds. Performing such activities as climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling,
crouching, reaching, standing, pulling, walking, pushing, lifting, fingering, grasping, feeling, talking,
hearing and repetitive motions. Have visual requirements of mid-range vision.
1. Be a team player!
2. Sustain a positive, enthusiastic and professional attitude at all times.
3. Accommodate all member requests with a smile and 'let me see what I can do' attitude.
4. Adhere to supervisor's directives.
5. Maintain a professional appearance and demeanor.
6. Arrive prior to the scheduled starting time, properly dressed and prepared to work.
7. Perform all duties in a timely, accurate, honest, and professional manner.
This is an EXEMPT position with primary regular business-week work hours. Works in a normal customer
centered environment. Fast work pace due to meeting deadlines.
Ninety days from date of employment date. Thereafter, annually. This job description does not state or
imply that the above are the only duties and responsibilities assigned to the position. Employees holding
this position will be required to perform any other job-related duties as requested by management. All
requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with a
HSS is an Equal Opportunity Employer and it is our policy to not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local laws.